St. Anne Chapel
33013 County Road 358
Lawton, Michigan, 49065
(269) 624-1805St. Anne’s Chapel in Lawton, Michigan, is a quiet retreat location for the members of the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius. In 2001, the Dietz family donated to the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius 96 acres of farmland in Lawton, which will be the site of a future retreat center. Because the parents of the Dietz family were named Anne and Thaddeus, the new chapel was dedicated to St. Anne and a statue of each of their patron saints has been enshrined in the chapel.
The St. Anne Chapel, crafted in the mountains of southern Poland in 2003, and reassembled on our Lawton property, features the traditional style of architecture that has been employed in that region since the Middle Ages.
Recently installed outside the entrance to St. Anne’s Chapel is a set of five church bells custom-designed for the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius by Ludwisarnia Felczynskich, the oldest bell-making foundry in central Europe. These bell makers, whose operation is based in southern Poland, have been in business since 1820. The bells produced at this foundry are all handcrafted according to a centuries-old tradition of bell making. Each of the five bells in the set at St. Anne’s Chapel is named for one of the luminous mysteries, and the bells are arranged according to size and mystery (the largest bell at the bottom represents the last mystery, the institution of the Holy Eucharist at the Last Supper). The bells were dedicated to Pope John Paul II in 2003, the twenty-fifth year of his pontificate and the Year of the Rosary.
To see the St. Anne Chapel photo album, click here...
We usually offer a Tridentine Mass (Latin) at 5:00 p.m. on First Saturdays from May through October.